Friday, April 15, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday, Katie!



(This post is a little late - - Katie turned 5 on March 20th)

Dear Katie,

My, it’s amazing that you’ve been part of our family for five years already, and yet it seems you’ve always been here. I can’t imagine life without you, my Katie Bug. I am so thankful you are in it.

At five years old, I have not officially started school with you. I’ve just gone with what you seem interested in, not in any rush to get to formal academics. Of course, you are constantly learning, a little sponge soaking everything up. We do work on writing the alphabet, counting, and word recognition. Recently, one of Daddy’s fellow teachers encouraged you by letting you know you are indeed already reading. We could tell this encouraged you a lot. You are at the beginning stages, but that’s where the important foundations are laid. I am excited for you! We will start formal kindergarten in the fall.

You love, love, love paper dolls right now. You play with them for hours each week, and don’t really seem to get tired of it. You are a great story teller, and that really comes out as you make the paper dolls act out their different parts.

Your artistic abilities are really blossoming. Recently, you painted a picture of Noah’s Ark, complete with the rainbow, water, sky, and boat. It was lovely, and I was so proud of you for doing it, because you just did it. No prompting or idea-sharing. You just came up with the design all by yourself. You are experimenting more with trying new drawings on your own, rather than asking Daddy or me how to do it.

You are contemplative and rather serious. You consider situations and questions thoughtfully and don't just jump into anything. You love focused time with grown-ups, and can really get into conversation with them when you are given the opportunity.

One of my favorite things you do is make up songs, something you've done since two years old. Sometimes the songs are a mix of several different familiar songs, and other times they are completely original, “written” as we drive somewhere in the van. Often, the topics are of Jesus’ love and how much He cares for you and provides for you. Other times it’s a song of thanksgiving. Recently, I have noticed, with both your songs and pretend play, that you sometimes rhyme the last words of two lines. You don’t really seem to be aware of it; it just comes out. What a joy to hear your imagination at work!

I was reading to you and Ellie recently, one of you on each side, and said, “Oh dear, where will the baby sit when he is born?” Your practical and helpful response was, “Don’t worry, Mom. I will hold him.”

Recently, while driving down the freeway, a man honked at us, and you replied, “It’s okay, Mom. The other cars are being nice to you.”

Talking on the phone to Lilly, you said, “Oh Lilly I love you. You have such a cute laugh.” “Lilly I wish I could cuddle with you right now.”

All of these comments show how you are concerned for others, and Daddy and I are thankful for your caring heart. You are a willing helper, and I look forward to watching your growth in this in the coming year. We love you, Katie!

1 comment:

Laura Berreth said...

Katie, when did you grow up so much? I still get amazed. You make your family so proud and thankful for you. Julie, thank you for sharing your thoughts and the lovely sweet photos.