Friday, April 15, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday, Ellie!



(Ellie turns 3 tomorrow)

Dear little Ellie,

You are not so little anymore (you are already in size 4t), and soon you will be a big sister as your baby brother is due one week from your birthday. You are such a delight to our family. You love to giggle and be tickled and make jokes and laugh at whatever you can. Your love and hugs just spill out of you, and you often run up to us and throw your soft arms around our necks, squeezing with all your might. Whenever you are separated from Katie for a time, you receive her back again with such enthusiasm, saying her name in a high-pitched, excited way. What a joy to watch this sisterly love being given. You also love to express your excitement by jumping up and down as you explain what you are joyful over.

You love to sing, and one of your favorites is Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, which you fervently spout at the top of your lungs. You often take snippets of songs or phrases you’ve heard from a story, and turn then into your own little game. You also love to “read” to us, out of a little book, and want to take a turn sharing your story after Daddy or I have finished reading the chosen bedtime book.

You are great at puzzles. You are patient and diligent to work at them until all the pieces are back in their proper places. If you are struggling at all, you usually ask for help in a polite way instead of crying over it.

You do not like sticky or wet fingers! Sometimes you struggle at the right technique to pick up your peanut butter and jelly sandwich, because you don’t want it all over your hands. If I have wet fingers from doing the dishes, you always ask me to please dry them off before I help you with something or hug you.

You are learning to draw and color. A few months ago, you first attempted to draw people, placing Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in a manger with a star above. You often say, “Look, Mommy, I’m not scribbling!” I think you want that reassurance that you are learning and doing a good job. You also like to draw water and grass, and you are learning to make smaller movements with your markers and crayons to achieve the look you want.


You like pink and sparkly things just as much as Katie does. You love to pretend to be a princess. You have a pair of sparkly silver ballet-style shoes that you have really loved. You are the third owner of them, and you always want to wear them wherever we go. You like to dance around the house in them, with other adorned accessories, such as necklaces, veils, rings, and bracelets.

Your understanding of Biblical truth is being voiced. Recently you said, “We don’t have to die, because Jesus died for us to forgive our sins.” You love reading from your Bible story books, or just sitting with Katie while she explains one of the stories to you.

A few recent, cute comments:
“Mommy, I think I have a headache in my knee.”
“Mommy, want to bask in the sun with me?”
"Could I please have the blueberry apron because I prefer it. I don't want to mess up my lovely sweatshirt with the snowflake on it!"

We love you, Ellie! Looking forward to watching you grow this year!

1 comment:

Laura Berreth said...

This is so sweet--made me feel so thankful reading it. God has blessed our families so much with little Ellie, who is already growing into a beautiful young lady in and out!~Grandma B