
I really love to make this dish! It was originally inspired by my sister, Lesley, and is so colorful and tasty. It only uses one pan to cook, if you do it right. I like to use my water-core electric skillet, so cooking times listed below may be different for you, depending on your choice of cooking ware.
Ingredients for about 4 hearty servings:
2 good sized chicken breasts
olive oil
garlic salt
pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (the ones with the yellow flesh, not the orange yams)
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 lb. asparagus, cut into one-inch pieces (optional; if it's not in season, it's still good without it)
1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
fresh chopped basil (or dried is good, too)
1 cup shredded cheese (I use a mixture of cheddar and jack or mozzarella and Parmesan)
3 to 4 slices cooked bacon, diced (optional; again, good without it)
Heat your pan to 350 degrees. Add olive oil, and brown chicken on both sides. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper; cover and simmer until done (about 20 minutes). Remove chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Add sweet potatoes along with garlic and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Add asparagus, and simmer for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, depending on how you like your asparagus. Remove lid and turn off heat. Adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with cheese (I like to stir in some of the cheese, so that it gets throughout the dish), fresh basil, and bacon. Put the lid back on for a few minutes to help the cheese melt. Serve!

This is wonderful with a crusty loaf of french bread. My favorite french bread recipe is from Lesley. I will have to post that soon, too!
2 comments:
Ooooh, yummy! My roomie and I are crazy for sweet potatoes - can't wait to try this one. :)
YUM! i am definitely going to try this one jules!
Post a Comment