Thursday, December 16, 2010

Studying Isaiah

I love how the Lord is so faithful and gracious in bringing me into closer fellowship with Him. He is gentle and compassionate in getting my attention, in disciplining me for my own good.

A few months ago, the girls and I began attending Bible Study Fellowship, a weekly Bible study that is held here close to our home and all over the world. At our particular site, there are around 240 ladies in attendance, as well as 50 children. This year, we are studying Isaiah, a book of God's Word that I have many a times shied away from... too complicated to understand and apply. But, I am learning that Isaiah's prophecy is bountifully rich and full of hope and the beautiful promises of God. Each week, attendees answer questions on their own, based on a particular passage from Isaiah. Then we gather for discussion and lecture. Afterward, we review our own notes as well as published lecture notes.

Last week, I was "too busy" to really study and apply the passage on Isaiah 28-33. It just seemed like too much work. Yet, even though I failed to apply myself, I was so blessed by the discussion and lecture, and further reflection afterward. It seemed like God was really using the passage to show me that being busy is no excuse to set Him aside, that I need Him all the more in the stressful busy times. Forgetting Christ as the foundation really starts to harm my daily walk as I try in my own strength to pick up the slack and keep going. It just doesn't work. God wants my heart to humbly come before Him in all things and embrace the truth of His Word each and every day.

It's easy to look at the Israelites and think, "Boy, were they bad!" But, I am guilty of the same sins. The Israelites faced the discipline of God because they were basically ignoring His provision, His wisdom, His Spirit of truth. Instead, they sought strength from false gods and alliances with harmful ungodly nations. On the surface I can think that I stay away from all that stuff, but closer examination reveals my tendency toward placing other things before God (having other gods before me), and relying on worldly ideas of security. Another guilt of the Israelites was, "These people come near to e with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. (Chp. 29)" Yikes! Guilty there, too, at times.

Thank you, Lord, for your purifying Word, for being the Master Creator, for guiding me in truth. Thank you for being gracious to me, and being my strength and my salvation in times of distress (Chp.33:2). You are so good, Lord. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderfully written passage jules. thank you for sharing, i very much enjoyed reading that. i am so happy that you are enjoying BSF and able to get the most out of it. what a wonderful experience for both you and the girls! reading what you wrote helps to encourage me to take the time to devote to the Lord. i tend to put other things first and am very guilty in that respect. so thank you for your words of truth.

Hulst mommy said...

Oh fun! The kids and I started at CBS, Community Bible Study, this year too. I love that they teach the Word to the kids as well. We have all learned a lot!!!

Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas.

Jen said...

Thank you for this timely reminder, Julie. My heart needed this. :)