Friday, March 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Katie!

Dear Katie,

Wow! Tomorrow, you are four years old (your friend party and family party are today). Time has of course flown by. You are loving all this birthday celebrating, and at the same time you make reference to not wanting to be a big girl yet. "I don't want to grow up too soon," you say. And then, "I will just be a little bit bigger, not too much." Well, sweetie, much of that cannot be avoided; but, don't worry - you still have plenty of little girl in you!

Your interests right now are centered around coloring, playing school, and pretending with your dolls. You and Ellie also really like to play shopping. You are a good big sister to Ellie, and often look for ways to help her, like finding her misplaced blanket or putting on her shoe. You are thoughtful to others, too, and like to color pictures to send to a relative or friend or give to one of the older people at church. Your heart is sensitive to the Lord, and you like to have devotional times together. You have been asking a lot of questions recently about how things work with God. I know you want to understand who He is. You really enjoy going to Cubbies with Lilly each week, and are good at memorizing your verses.

One of your favorite things to do is just be together. It doesn't matter so much the activity; you seem to love that focused attention. Whenever you get some time with just me or just Aunt Lesley, you are giddy with excitement. It's very cute!

Your favorite color is pink, and you also love anything shiny or sparkly. It's very important that you always have a pretend girl name like "Pink Glitter Glue" when you are dressing up.

You love to play at the park, and your favorite park structure is definitely the swings. You could stay on a swing, sailing in the fresh air, for hours. It is always difficult to get you to try the slides or climbing bars. You just want to keep swinging, and giggle with delight at each push that takes you higher.

You are a big help to Mommy. I taught you how to sort your dirty laundry into dark and light piles, and you do that very willingly. A few weeks ago, I announced that I was going to prepare lunch. Without even being asked, you stopped your play, opened the fridge, and began to remove things that you thought we'd need for our meal. You also help with setting the table and like to help with sweeping, too. Using a spray bottle to help me clean the floor is an extra special treat.




Katie, Daddy and I love you so much, and are excited to see you growing into such a beautiful little girl. Happy 4th birthday, sweetie!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so happy to know that there are families like yours in the world:) You are doing an amazing job with your girls!

Hulst mommy said...

That was such a sweet post.

Hope you had a fantastic, wonderful, blessed birthday Katie!