I have really wanted to try making crackers from scratch. I've heard they are easy and delicious, so earlier this week I gave it a try. I made them heart-shaped to go with the heart shaped cheddar cheese slices I cut out for a Valentine's Day party my friend Melissa had at her house for the little ones. I wasn't sure which recipe to use, since I'd never done it before, but I settled on a recipe from Mark Bittman's
How to Cook Everything (tweaked a bit to my liking). The dough was very salty tasting, but once the crackers baked, they had a very nice flavor. The only trouble was that they didn't really stay crispy. They ended up tasting more like whole wheat pie dough. But, I definitely liked making them and want to experiment a bit. It'd be fun to try and mimic those cracked pepper and olive oil Triscuits!



3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 T. butter
1/8 cup water
1/8 cup milk
Cut butter into dry ingredients, and then mix in water to form a ball. Roll out and cut as desired. Bake on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Cool on wire rack.
No comments:
Post a Comment