I have come to realize that I really like making blended soups, partly because they are so easy, partly because they taste good, and partly because I can hide a lot of nutrition in them (which is always an advantage when you have a questioning 3 year old in the house)!
I don't really have recipes for these soups; I just use what I have. SO far, they've mostly turned out, and my family likes them. When Jonathan gives me the okay to "make it again," those are happy words to me!
So, here is what I do:
Throw some veggies and water (or stock) in a pot to simmer. Add garlic, herbs, and other seasonings. Add barley, rice, or whole grain pasta (If you like your soups to have more texture, cook the grains seperately and then add after blending). Simmer until all is tender.
Put a couple of ladles full of the veggie mixture into the blender, along with some bean flour* (see note below). Blend until you get a creamy texture. Pour into a new pot, and then repeat until all is blended. Reheat your creamy soup, adding your grain and a cup or two of cooked meat if you want (I usually use diced chicken breast). Sprinkle with cheese, stir in sour cream, or be creative with other toppings.
*Bean flour is exactly what it sounds like - - flour made from dried beans. Get it at a health food store or make your own if you have a home mill. It clumps when mixed with water, but blends beautifully, giving you a creamy soup without the fat that is in white sauce. When you mix beans with a grain, you get all 8 amino acids necessary to make a complete protein. So, meat isn't a must in these soups.
Have fun; be brave. Try something new!
No comments:
Post a Comment