Sunday, April 15, 2012

Our Joyful Four-Year-Old


Dear Ellie Joy,

Tomorrow is your big day! You will be four years old! You were beyond excited when we tucked you into bed this evening. You were following me around the house, excited exclamation in your voice. Yesterday, we enjoyed your birthday breakfast, so that Daddy could be there with us. You chose cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, and bagels. Tomorrow, your dinner selections are mac 'n' cheese, baked chicken strips, peas, and rolls. We will be making cake balls for your dessert, which I am rather excited about since I haven't made them before. It will be fun to have your help!

I am often reminded of God's great love in leading us to your middle name of "Joy." It just fits you so very well. You approach life with such exuberance; we never have to guess what you are thinking or feelings. You just proclaim it! You are (usually) full of happiness and love. You often tell us how much you love us, and give us enthusiastic hugs and kisses. Last week, you came into the kitchen to give me a hug, and said, "I just always wanted a mom like you. You are my special favorite mom!"

A few months ago, I threw away some curly drinking straws that were well used. You were broken-hearted, and have been asking for new straws. When we celebrated your birthday with your grandparents a few weeks back, you received a package of bendy straws. Sheer joy spread through your whole body as you gladly shouted, "STRAWS!" All the grown-ups in the room were very amused, to say the least. Not the new teddy, not the new clothes or sparkly shoes, not the craft supplies, but the $0.99 package of straws, got the most attention.

Your favorite things to do are play dress-up and cut up paper. You love to place the little pieces of paper in a container of some sort, and call them your "treasures." Of course all these treasures must be kept and cherished. You also love to play anything that Katie suggests, such as paper dolls or Play Mobil. I love eaves-dropping on your pretend games, as it showcases your passions and creativity.

I am really thankful for how you've grown in your love for your brother. You run up to Silas just to hug him, and love to engage him in a game of peek-a-boo. You also like to lead him around while he pushes a chair, making sure he doesn't get caught on the rugs.

You are learning to ride a bike with training wheels; you are very proud of being strong enough to pedal a bike on your own. You have learned a lot about counting and the sounds of the alphabet this past year, and you can write your own name. You used to say, "Mommy, can you help me with my tricky e? I can't do it." I told you that it was okay to write an uppercase E at the end of your name, so now you do that.

You often remember your little friends in your prayers, who may not know Jesus. You also remember your great grandma June often, and recently said that we should go see her because she is lonely. We are thankful to your growing sensitivity to following Christ and loving others.

We love you, our sweet Ellie! Happy Fourth Birthday!

No comments: