Silas is four days into his very first cold, poor little guy. For him, that means trouble nursing, way more coughing than usual, and enduring extra breathing treatments. For us, it means comforting him, spending extra time caring for his little lungs, and assessing the sound of his coughs as he tries to rest. All in all, he's doing quite well; so far, the virus is not getting into his chest where the real damage could start.
When we first learned of Si's CF almost nine months ago, I was dreading this first cold. In my prayers, I was begging and pleading the Lord to keep him well, and then thanking Him when Silas would escape another round of germ exposure.
We've been praying, along with many others, that the Lord would keep Silas well the whole winter. Here he is with this first cold; did the Lord fail us or not hear our prayers? Not at all. He is sovereign. He knows what is best. He is always loving and caring for us. His way of answering our prayers is not always in our understanding, but then HE IS GOD, and knows the big picture. I am really and truly thankful for that.
Being Mom to Silas has challenged my prayer life. It's challenged my trust in the Lord. It's challenged my tendency to want to control my circumstances, and those I am immediately connected with, if possible. It's challenged me to slow down and appreciate little moments instead of rushing to meet my agenda. I have really been trying to work on these weaknesses in myself, asking the Lord to help me to develop them into strengths and that the way I live would reflect Him to others, especially those I influence the most (Jonathan, Katie, Ellie, and Silas). It's a slow road, but the Lord is faithful, and I am grateful for that.
So, when Silas' cold hit this past week, I didn't flip out and panic as I had anticipated. I found myself calm and able to pray through the little tasks of the day. I found strength to endure when I wasn't feeling great myself, and the ability to look beyond temporal circumstances. This is all because of the Lord Jesus Christ. His love for me is great (for EACH of us) and He deeply meets our needs. Part of His answer to my prayers has come through our son's cold, so that God may be glorified. He who begins a good work in us will be faithful to complete it (in spite of ourselves). Praise Him!
2 comments:
Thank you sis for sharing all of that! What a great attitude you have, the Lord is indeed in control. What an awesome God we serve who knows how to care for each child. Love you sis, praying always!
God IS so good and He will take care of you and Silas. You are such a good mother and I am sure it has been hard to see your little guy sick, but thanks to our amazing God you've been able to stay calm and trusting... that is so wonderful! A test of faith for sure. Hope he gets better soon Jules.
Post a Comment