Saturday, May 28, 2011

Update on Silas


Silas is already almost four weeks old! It's hard to believe that! Time passes so quickly. He is becoming more alert during his wake times, and entertains us with his coos and silly expressions. He loves to suck on his fists, which is helping him settle in for naps better than he was. He loves to stare at our ceiling fans, just like our girls did, and he even smiles at them sometimes. They are a dark color against the white ceilings, so it's easy for him to focus on them.

This past Monday I got a call from the UC Davis cystic fibrosis center in Sacramento, saying we were referred to them... by whom I am not sure. I was very encouraged that we didn't have to make the contact (I had been wondering how this would work, how we would find the doctor Silas would need), and talked with a super nice nurse named Kim who scheduled an appointment for June 7th with a genetic counselor and doctor. For now, the sweat chloride test will wait, because it is more ideal for him to be 12 pounds for good results. Kim also told me to get him weighed at least once a week, to make sure he wasn't going down-hill. So, that evening I took Silas up to our local clinic and found he was 4 ounces down from his weight at six days old. I was rather panicky and emotional about all of this, feeling like he was perishing. Yesterday the emotional roller coaster continued, until the evening when Jonathan gave me a "pep talk." I am so thankful for him... he is so gentle yet firm in helping me see where I need to put my focus. This morning I woke up doing better, and praying through things more rather than trying to solve things I can't. So, today in town I got Silas weighed again. He was still down four ounces but not more. I reported to Kim, and she said to start him on enzymes. He may not need them, but they won't do any harm if that's the case. More than likely he does need them. Sometimes CF babies start out well, and then as the days pass, a duct in the pancreas gets plugged so that nutrient absorption goes way down. The enzymes will help him absorb the food properly again, as far as I understand. Kim also said to collect a stool sample and freeze it, to be taken to a lab and tested. That will help determine the functioning level of the pancreas.

We started Silas on the enzymes on Thursday evening, and he is doing well with accepting them. I break open the little capsule, and put the little "beads" in his mouth with my finger, right before each nursing. We haven't had him weighed again, but soon I will have a baby scale right in our house! A retired nurse friend has one she will let us borrow for as long as we need it. What a blessing to not have to go out to get Silas weighed!

So, that is where we are at right now... Silas is progressing like a typical newborn would, except for the weight. That is kind of hard to accept at times, but it is reality, and God has him in His care. Please pray for good weight gain with these enzymes, and that my milk would be nice and rich for him! Thanks so much!

No comments: