Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Unexpected


Silas Kenton Wangsgard was born on May 3rd at 1:42 am. he weighed 6 punds and 13 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long.

Today marks two weeks of having Silas in our family. What a sweet little guy God has given us. We are so grateful for him, and love that we are now a family of five!

Just yesterday afternoon, we received the news that Silas' newborn screening test came back positive for cystic fibrosis. The news was rather shocking as Silas has been doing so well since birth. Often CF infants fail to gain weight, and Silas has been gaining just as any other healthy newborn would. Silas will have further testing done in two weeks, a sweat-chloride test, to get further information on his diagnosis. Perhaps, because of his good health thus far, he has a mild case.

Obviously, it's been an emotional last 24 hours or so... nobody wants to hear that kind of news, especially in regards to such a precious little person. Hundreds of thoughts have rolled through my mind as I process what this means for our family, for our little baby boy. Mostly, I don't know what it means because of a lack of information about his specific mutation of CF. Jonathan's mom has CF, and so we do know a bit about the disease, which affects the digestive track as well as lung function, and thus makes the body more prone to certain infections. Mom has to take lots of enzymes to help with the digestive process as well as do "breathing treatments" a few times a day to clear her lungs of extra mucus. So, we have much to learn about Silas' specific condition and what will need to be done...

My thoughts have turned to fear and worry, yet I am also in awe of how God has prepared us to face this. His gracious love has reminded us, just since finding out, of several ways He's prepared the way... my BSF leader knowing someone who has 3 out of 8 kids with CF who I could talk to... studying Isaiah this past year and learning so very much about the character of God... Jonathan finding a song on a blog that a dad wrote about his sick son... and there are more. None of these things are accidents. Silas isn't an accident. I truly believe God had/has a purpose in them.

Following dinner last evening, Jonathan led our family in prayer, and Katie prayed for me (without being told) that I would have wisdom and not be worried. She prayed again at bedtime, this time for Silas, that he would have many days with us before he goes to heaven and that he would be able to be healthy for his life on earth. Wow! I was so blessed by her compassion and by her sensitivity to the Holy Spirit as she prayed. How special and encouraging, and how overwhelmingly abundantly God loves us! And He assured me of that through the faith of our five-year-old. What a gift.

I am impressed by the need to truly trust God through every step of this, and not just give lip service to the concept. Why am I here? Why is Silas here? Why is our family going through this? Because God must be glorified in our lives. That is the purpose, ans we pray that rings true through whatever we may face with Silas' CF, that we as well as family,, friends, acquaintances, and strangers would taste and see that God is good. God is everything we need. God is love.

I am sure there will be hard days, and tons of good days too, ahead of us. I know we will struggle to keep the right perspective, to always acknowledge God in this, to trust Him 100%. But, I do look forward in anticipation to growing closer to the Lord and growing as a family through Silas' disease. We covet your prayers. Thank you.

7 comments:

Hulst mommy said...

Oh Julie! I would be shocked as well! But like you said God will be glorified and that is such a sweet truth to grab ahold of. It may even be that the Lord is opening a new door of ministry for you guys, encouraging others in the same "boat" just as you have been encouraged so quickly after the news! Only He knows :)

My best friend has Lupus, she was told she couldn't and shouldn't have children, that in essence it would kill her. She has 2, a 3 year old daughter who is a CF carrier, and a healthy 10 month old son. :)

We will be praying for all of you. Keep us updated so we can pray specifically for little Silas' needs!

Sheila said...

Julie-
We have never met, but Kathy and I have been friends since we were 2 or 3. I am sorry to hear of Silas' diagnosis, but feel with the love of his family he is off to a good start in life.

You are all in my thoughts.

Sheila

Irish Lass said...

Hi Julie -
I have never met you, but my husband and I have know the Wangsgard family for as long as I can remember from the Vineyard. I just wanted to let you know that my husband Elliot and I are praying for you, Jonathan, Silas and your girls. May the Lord continue to bless you and give you strength each day.
Your sister in Christ,
Olivia Pernula

Patricia said...

Julie, I have known Kathy and Chris since high school. Kathy's life has been in God's hands and yet she has had an amazing full life...now a grandmother. I will keep Silas in prayer as well as the rest of you. But I am confident he is going to also have a full life.

Julie said...

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comments. What a blessing to be upheld in prayer.

Jen said...

Julie! Your family is so precious and full of faith. I pray that God would wrap his arms around you all and that you would feel His peace in a way you never have before. Much love to you, sweet friend.

Boo Parry said...

Julie, you and your family are such an inspiration. I have no doubt that God will reveal much of His glory through every one of you (which He's already doing). Katie's prayer was so precious, and I couldn't help but to pray and hope that our daughters will be praying prayers like that! Our God is a God of HOPE, and your family's story will continue to tell of God's hope and strength. I look forward to hearing about them all.
Love and prayers to you all.