Friday, August 20, 2010

Super Mom



To those of you out there for whom this applies, do you ever wish you were a super mom? I do. Probably super mom means different things to different moms, but we all have our ideal mom image that we create in our minds. I, being one who is rather perfectionistic, definitely have things I wish I was better at. I have my days where I am feel so impatient and frustrated with just regular kid behavior. I have days where it seems difficult to put in the effort, and I long for time alone. I have days where I feel as whiny as Katie and Ellie.

It's always good to step back and spend some time in prayer when I feel this way (and prayer is another one of those areas I wish I was super at). I think of 2 Corinthians 12:9, which says that God's grace is sufficient in our weaknesses. I think of the grace God gives each moment of the day, the grace that allows for mess-ups and growth forward, the grace that forgives and helps give fresh perspective, the grace that gives freedom and joy. Praise God that I don't have to be a super mom. But, I do need to be a mom who is daily (by the hour, by the minute!) dependent on the Lord and trusting Him in my calling to motherhood. It's not supposed to be easy; it is supposed to require sacrifice and hard work. And, by the grace of God, I can do it.

About a month ago, I attended a baby shower at which my sister gave the devotional. Her topic was how to be an excellent mom. The focus of the devotional boiled down to the fact that excellent moms trust in the Lord. Excellent moms let the Lord carry the burden rather than trying to perfectly execute the many jobs a mother is required to perform daily. Excellent moms lean heavily on Christ for strength and prudence, and for the ability to love as He loves us. Excellent moms trust the Lord with the strengths and weaknesses He's working out in each personal life, without fretting about the super mom.

Even though I need to step back and gain perspective at times, I am so thankful for my two little girls. They grow so fast, and I don't want to miss moments of teaching, of sharing, of joyful discovery with them, due to my lack of trusting the Lord in the moment. Praying for you moms out there today, that your strength will be found in Christ.

1 comment:

Boo Parry said...

Love this post! Thank you for your encouraging words and for being real. I think all of us moms can relate :) You are right, we need to rely on God every moment of every day...and let our children SEE through our example that HE is the true source of strength, joy, peace, and love. Thinking of you and praying for you as well.