Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rainy Day Play

Until today, we've had very spring-like weather here in the mountains. It was fun to see the sunshine (can't get too excited about planting a garden yet - it can freeze up here through May), but we really need the rain. So, we've been watching the storm out the windows today. Katie saw the trees blowing, and said, "Oh, look Mommy! The trees are waking up. They're not sleeping anymore!" And then a few minutes later...(with much exclamation)"Oh, wow! The trees are blowing faster and faster."

Our rainy day activity was to make playdough. I've never done this before (unless I did as a kid and forgot), and was pretty pleased with the recipe I used. If you are interested, the recipe follows the pictures below.







Homemade Playdough

1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar (didn't have this and it still worked)
1 c. water
1 T. vegetable oil
Food coloring

Mix dry ingredients in sauce pan. Add wet ingredients gradually, stirring as you go. Warm on medium heat on stove, stirring constantly until mixture forms a ball (this part goes pretty fast. I thought it'd be so slow, but it magically happens!). Let cool and then knead. Repeat for more colors.

3 comments:

Matt or Lesley said...

Great post Julie Anna!:)OOOHHH and I like your new background too!!!!

Mrs David W said...

Love the new background! So scrapbookish :) Also, playdough recipe is great... loved the pretty colors oh and your lovely little Katie just made the shots perfect.

Mama V said...

This is GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll totally use it!