Friday, December 5, 2008

It's been a particularly challenging week...I am glad we are almost at the end of our colds. On top of it all, Ellie has a terrible, painful diaper rash that I just can't seem to conquer (suggestions, anyone?), so she is not her usual cheery self.

It's so easy to lose perspective when things are out of my control. But, wait a minute, I am not ever IN control. I would sure like to think so sometimes. This whole week, it's like the Lord is reminding me to let go and let Him plan my steps. Hmmm...another lesson in that department. I need them often!

I am thankful for my girls, who, in spite of the challenges they've given me this week, they also remind me to have a good chuckle and not take life too seriously! A couple days ago, Katie was in the bathroom; I exitted, and told her to call me when she was finished. A few seconds later she called, "Mommy, come back. I need some company!"

To be brief, today's breakfast scenario was stressful. Katie looked up at me, and said, "Mommy, hold my hand." Then... "Mommy, we need to pray." She was right, I had forgotten to slow down and thank our Lord for the food. Such a precious and humbling reminder coming from my sensitive little girl.

Lastly...



...you are probably wondering about the picture. Just before lunch, Katie found a fuzzy on the carpet. She gave it to me and told me it was a little bird. By God's grace I was able to relax in the moment and have fun pretending with her. She named the bird Cogglie (short o sound) and she (it's not a boy, she informed me) got a nest in a pinecone and enjoyed our pb&j, milk, and apples with us. Katie was so wrapped up in having fun with Cogglie. It was adorable - - another reminder to slow down and enjoy All the moments, even in the middle of a high-stress week.

Alas, Cogglie didn't last very long. We misplaced her right after lunch (Hey, you try keeping track of a bird that size!).

3 comments:

Jen said...

The best advice I've gotten for diaper rash so far is from Tracy. Take the diaper off, and use a hair dryer (on the cool or warm setting) on their little bum. It really does the trick of drying out the skin. Once it's dry, you can put rash creme on - I've found Aveeno brand to be particularly effective. But the hair dryer thing takes care of things so fast - it's great!

Mrs David W said...

We are meant to be friends :) I always keep you in my prayers. Also, don't feel down we all have these moments. I call them wire moments, it feels like the wire is being pulled just a little too tightly and then snap. we remember God is in control.
I love ya my friend who is awesome!

ALWAYS BOARD said...

Wow, I've never heard about the hair dryer thing! I'll have to try that next time...but what I've found to be effective is having Emma naked from the waist down (I usually have her on the absorbent pads for dogs and the elderly). Aquaphor has worked the best for us so far (better than A&D, ButtPaste and Desitin) and was recommended by our pediatrician.