Do you ever have random conversations with people in the grocery store? I do, and more often than I used to, because I talk to the girls about what I am buying, what I am looking for, etc. People overhear me, and comment. So, last week, I made it to the Mexican food aisle, and said, "Oh, good! I need enchilada sauce, and it's on sale!" Well, a lady passing by said, "That stuff is so easy to make, you know." So, she proceeded to share her recipe with me:
4 T. butter or oil
4 T. flour
4 T. chili powder
2 cups water
Make as you would a white sauce, stirring the chili powder into oil and flour before adding water (or else you'll get lumps). Heat through.
So, I made the sauce for our enchiladas last night, and Jonathan liked it a lot. The ingredients listed above were a bit bland, so I did add a bit of sea salt and a can of tomato sauce. It came out pretty mild, so if you are interested in trying the recipe and like lots of spice, add more chili powder.
Maybe many of you out there already make your own enchilada sauce. I hadn't thought of it yet, so this was exciting to me. If somebody out there has a favorite enchilada sauce recipe, feel free to share!
1 comment:
Hey, good idea! I might try this next time. I like your additions to the recipe... I would probably make it that way too.
Post a Comment